Matteo Perin: “Style Should Never Overshadow the Person”

The Italian lifestyle designer behind John Travolta’s Cannes looks talks about Hollywood, luxury, Italian craftsmanship and why the person should always come before the clothes.

Matteo Perin has built an international career between fashion, lifestyle and luxury, working with names such as John Travolta, Al Pacino, Will Smith and Morgan Freeman, as well as entrepreneurs and clients from the worlds of technology and sport. Born near Verona and now active between the United States, Europe, Dubai and Singapore, Perin has developed a very personal philosophy of style: clothes should enhance the person wearing them, never dominate them. 

John Travolta’s appearance at Cannes attracted a lot of attention. What did you want to communicate through his look?

I wanted to help create a strong emotional moment for John because this time he was going to Cannes not only as an actor. He had written the book, produced the film and was also the director. I wanted his presence to feel different and, above all, memorable.

I did a lot of research on directors from the past and noticed that many of them had one thing in common: the director’s beret. Since John also wears glasses, we decided to keep them as part of the look and make the whole image even more distinctive. Finding the right berets for every outfit was not easy. I actually ended up colouring some of them myself by hand to get exactly the shade we needed. 


You have been working with John Travolta for many years. What has that relationship taught you?

John and I know each other very well now, so we can speak very honestly with one another. When you work that closely with someone, you stop seeing only the public figure. You see the person. People sometimes judge certain choices or roles without knowing what is happening behind the scenes. I think we should all judge a little less when we do not know the full story.

When I am with John, I see him the way I would see a friend sitting with me at a café. Then you go outside and remember that you are with someone who has touched millions of people over fifty years of cinema. Dressing him means dressing part of film history. 

Is there one memory with Travolta that still feels surreal?

There are several. One evening I was at home in Los Angeles drawing when John called me and asked whether I wanted to go out for dinner. He would not tell me where we were going. I ended up at dinner with Al Pacino, Michael Keaton and Tom Hanks. I remember sitting there thinking: from Verona to having dinner with Tony Manero, Tony Montana, Batman and Forrest Gump. It was quite surreal. 

You often say that the person should always be more important than the clothes. Why is that so central to your work?

Because I have seen many people on red carpets wearing clothes that completely overwhelmed them. They thought they were on the red carpet, but in reality the dress was on the red carpet and they were simply the mannequin wearing it. For me, that balance is wrong. I dress the person, so the person always has to remain at the centre. 


You are often described as a Lifestyle Designer rather than simply a fashion designer. What does that mean to you?

Technically, I am a fashion designer. The term Lifestyle Designer was given to me internationally because many people translate the Italian word stilista as stylist, which is obviously not the same thing.

With many of my clients, I do not design just one outfit. I create looks for different parts of their lives and for different events. Some people describe me as an architect of their lifestyle, and I think that is actually quite accurate. 

Your business now goes beyond clothing. How has it evolved?

Over the years we expanded considerably. We started with clothing, then introduced high jewellery, all made by hand, and later interior design. I am very fortunate to have a team of extremely skilled people with an exceptional level of expertise.

Three years ago we also opened our flagship boutique in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. People who do not know the area often ask why, but Jackson Hole is one of the wealthiest counties in the United States. It is surrounded by extraordinary nature, close to Grand Teton and Yellowstone, and attracts people who appreciate art, privacy and luxury. 

What does luxury mean to you today?

Luxury can mean very different things depending on the person. For some, it is a lifestyle. For others, it is owning the most expensive object or accessory. Travelling so much and experiencing different cultures has shown me how differently people define what matters.

At the highest level, I think luxury is often made up of very subtle things, sometimes almost invisible, that simply make your life more peaceful. For our clients, luxury means knowing that there is a team taking care of every detail so they can enjoy an important moment without stress. 


Italian craftsmanship still plays a major role in your work. Why is Made in Italy so important to you?

We are incredibly lucky to be Italian, especially in my industry. When it comes to fabrics, craftsmanship and know-how, Italy is very difficult to beat.

At the same time, I think small and medium-sized businesses in the fashion sector need much more support. I care deeply about this and one of my dreams is to help our artisans build a dignified future again, while also encouraging young people to learn these skills and continue that tradition. 

Looking back, when did you first realise that this could become your life?

It began with dreams I had as a child. I would watch people on television and imagine myself there with them. I did not yet know in what role or in what situation, but somehow I felt I would get there.

I was not particularly fashion-focused as a child, and we did not have those kinds of opportunities, but I always paid close attention to people. I still love “people watching”: looking at what someone wears and, more importantly, how they wear it. I always ask myself whether the person is wearing the clothes or whether the clothes are wearing the person.

I have always believed the clothes should never stand out more than the person. 

And after Cannes, what comes next?

Cannes 2026 required months of work. For now, we are planning to spend some time in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and at the Yellowstone Club in Montana with friends and clients during the summer. We also have a number of exclusive events planned for July and August.




Powered by Blogger.